andrew h. wilson charter school
filed under: pre k-12, historic, Renovations
Andrew H. Wilson Charter School was originally designed and built in 1909 in the historic Broadmoor neighborhood. Hurricane Katrina severely damaged the school in August of 2005. The school was one of the first chosen by the Recovery School District to be renovated under its Quick Start School program. MMI joined the team as the Structural and Civil Engineer-of-Record. The project included the complete renovation of the approximately 48,000 square foot main school building, the demolition of an accessory school building built in the 1940's, and the addition of a new school building of approximately 50,000 square feet. The renovated and newly constructed school buildings house twenty-six classrooms, a cafeteria, gymnasium, art/music, computer, library, and administration facilities.
Ninety percent of the original building was salvaged and reused. Traditional building materials were replaced with both recycled materials and rapidly renewable products such as bamboo flooring. Other structural materials used include conventional lumber and laminated veneer lumber in the existing building as required to repair and/or replace existing damaged wood framing. Composite wood/concrete piles were placed in groups underneath new column locations and as single individual foundations for the support of a new first floor concrete framing in the new building.
Architect: HMS Architects
Year Complete: 2009
Construction Cost: $26M
LEED GOLD CERTIFIED